Saturday 5 November 2016

A Whole LOT of Broth


     I make Broth, A lot, and I make a lot of it. It's the time of year, soup, is a fantastic choice to make on the regular. It takes a while, but it's so much better and far more cost effective. My biggest issue is usually storage ( I do plan on getting a deep freeze or another small freezer eventually). For a long time though I tried making this, and never actually made a pot that had any real flavor. I tweaked and played with the recipe, and I really don't have that issue anymore so I thought I'd share my recipe and what I do. 


You will need:
     A large pot, the biggest one you own (mine is one for canning)
     Bones, beef, chicken, turkey whatever you have on hand
     1 Red pepper, seeds and stem removed
     1 Onion
     1-2 Carrots
     A clove or two of garlic (unless I've got my father in-law eating it)
     2 Stalks of Celery
     2-3 Bay Leaves
     Salt to taste 
     Enough water to fill the pot
     A ladle
     Containers for Storage ( I use jars)
     A Colander
     2 Big bowls
     A Funnel 
     Large Measuring cup (optional)

Put all the edible stuff in a pot. With the Salt, less is more, you can always add more when you use it later, but you can't take it away once you boil it in. Bring it to a boil, and then reduce it way down, you want a basic simmer, and let it go for 12 hours. When it's done, you will want to give it time to cool down. I give it a couple hours, and if I want it to go faster, I do take the lid off obviously. 

My packaging method requires 2 large bowls, a colander, a funnel ( I use jars so my funnel is a canning funnel), and a ladle. It's a long process, not as long at the actual cooking, but it can be tedious (Cale and I trade off to break it up). I use the large measuring cup, or ladle, and I put the broth through the colander, into one of the bowls, until I fill it up. I move the colander to the other bowl to avoid to make a huge mess. Then ladle the broth into the jars, and continue to cool. You're going to want to make sure you give some room in the jar for expansion, I've learned the hard and rather messy way. You'll want to freeze most of it because it doesn't have the preservatives that store bought has. 



No comments:

Post a Comment