Wednesday 10 January 2018

Pregnancy post #2, Gestational Diabetes

         When I planned on doing these posts, I had originally made a list of ones I thought would be fun to do. I seem to be getting some of the grittier parts done first, and let's be honest, I had no idea #1 would be about being sick with a cold.

           Right off the bat, thanks for the comments I got on the cold post, I got some good feedback and while I'm not 100% this is my best morning I've had since getting sick.
 
           I'm considered a higher risk pregnancy, for two reasons. On we'll cover today, and another on a later post. Today, I'm talking about my Gestational Diabetes. Gestational Diabetes is actually very common, and since I've been treating it properly, I feel a million times better. I'm part of some chat groups and stuff for pregnant women, due the same month as me and a LOT of them blame themselves, and take it pretty hard. I guess knowing how common it is, and how many people in my family have some form of diabetes, I shrugged it off and said, I'll do what I gotta do (it's a phrase I've used multiple times through my pregnancy). I'm also going to stress when I met with the dietitian after being diagnosed, one of the things they hammer home is, we did nothing wrong, this happens.

          The biggest issues I've had since being diagnosed? #1 was probably Christmas. I am not on insulin, I control everything with diet alone. So while I was still posting about some of my traditions on my blog, some I had to pass up, like my Christmas Eve Hot Chocolate, and most of my plate for Christmas dinner was greens. The biggest temptation has also been the cookies. I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but I do enjoy cookies now and then, and we had already done our baking when I was diagnosed. We still have a few kicking around at this point, and I can have one or two, as long as I'm careful.

            Another issue I've kind of had, is being tethered to my meter in more ways than one. So every morning I do my first test, and then two hours after each meal. I'm still working so I often wonder what my co-workers think when I have to run off the floor RIGHT after we open, because it's been two hours since breakfast (of course that has happened for other reasons as well). Night time is harder for me too. I'm supposed to have supper, and then wait two hours, do my blood and then have a snack before bed. I have been going to bed around 8:00 since my first trimester...some times I've forgotten and eaten before I check and then I'm reading higher...or I'm almost asleep and barely functioning to do my blood, or have a snack.

            In all fairness, if these are my biggest drawbacks, I'm doing well. No two pregnancies are alike, and things happen. For me, I guess I realized early on how little control I had in a lot of this process, so I just take it as it comes...don't get me wrong, I still wake up in the night stressing about something now and then, but for the most part, I just deal. By the way, way out of character for me too, I can stress very easily, and often.

             K Luv Ya Bye

             Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment