Wednesday 10 October 2018

Christmas Post #12, Get Ready for Halloween

       
  There is one Holiday (debated term) that people go as crazy for as Christmas it seems. This of course, is Halloween, and we're only 21 days away. We had our costumes planned out for a while now, but if you haven't now is the time to figure out the household costumes (if you need to) and get them, before they are well picked over. If it's a costume you need to piece together, you might need a little more time too.

         I also recommend getting your treats now too, though this can be a double edged sword. I also recommend putting them somewhere that they're out of sight, and out of mind. I know we've had years we bought 2 boxes of chips and by Halloween, we had 1 1/2 left...which I feel showed great restraint on our part. So hide em, until you need em. I know last year, we had about half as many kids as we planned for...so we need to debate if we want the same amount for our own enjoyment, or save a couple bucks and get a little less.

        Finally, decor. I know decorating for Halloween is not as big as it used to be...or it has blown up, you're at one end of the spectrum or the other. We're the freaks in the middle, and almost everything I do I did diy and/or on a dime. I feel like motherhood has made me go soft for Halloween. I remember as a kid there was a house that you walked up to the door and you thought a dummy was sitting on the porch, but no, it was the home owner dressed up, and he moved and made you jump. As a kid I always thought I would do this, but now I guess I'm more worried about scaring little kids. I mean a little scare here and there is fine, and fun on Halloween, but I don't want to be the one doing it. As a result, my decor is pretty playful, maybe we'll go creepier when Jake is older. Here is a confession, I have never carved a real pumpkin in my life...it's true, closest I have come is my little Michael's one, that goes in the window with a flameless candle. I also took one of those classic pumpkin buckets and took out the bottom and one little section in the back and it slides over my outside light. Another diy I do, I save some toilet paper rolls and cut creepy eye shapes in them, and put glow sticks inside and put them in my bushes. And then there is roll of danger tape I bought at the dollar store when I lived in Kentville. Let me stress, this was when Cale and I were still in college...we graduated 11 years ago... this roll owes me nothing!

         So today's assignment, is ALL Halloween.

         K, Luv ya, Bye!

         Nancy, Cale, Jake and Alice
     

No comments:

Post a Comment