Thursday 27 October 2016

My Vent about Sunday's Walking Dead Episode

   
     I'm actually shocked it's taking me this long to talk about the Walking Dead Season Premier. Part of it being I was still in recovery, another being I hate to be the one spoiling the episode if you hadn't gotten to it yet (guess what time's up), and also I typically need to mentally analyze the episode too.

     On that note here we go. Let me stress too, that I find watching Talking Dead very therapeutic, and this one especially. So we know that there was not one, but two deaths Sgt. Abraham Ford, and the lovable pizza boy Glenn Rhee. Rumors had been swirling for months that it was going to be more than one character. Being that most of my friends are reminded of me at the mere mention of zombies, this was a discussion I had more than once, and it really was only my duel fandom friends who understood, and thought my opinion was rather valid. My initial thought was the two we lost. Why? When I say duel fandom, I mean not just friends who watch the show, but those who read the comic too. In issue 100 of the comic, Glenn meets his end at the end of Negan's bat just like in the show... actually the makeup artistry was crazy close to the final frame of Mr. Rhee(kudos Nicotero). It was one of those iconic moments a comic fan waits for, like back when Bob screamed out "Tainted Meat" at the Terminus crew. Walking Dead 100% delivered on that. PS, though I adore Daryl, I'm a little sour at the moment, because I DO blame him for Glenn's death. Once the rumors of two deaths started swirling, I immediately thought Abraham. Why? In last season's episode titled Twice as Far, we lost Dr.Denise Cloyd. Relevance? The fashion in which the good Doctor dies was the end that Abraham meets in the comic. So comic fans realized that Sgt. Ford was, as Michael Cudlitz put it, "Living on borrowed time".

     While I shed my tears, as I have for everyone of our beloved characters (even Merle) since we lost Dale in season 2, I can't say I was surprised. What did surprise me, was when watching two characters get their skulls caved in was actually the easier part of the episode to watch. What happened to the living seemed to be much worse, it ended quickly for those who died. The survivors were at it all night, which we watched the mental and emotional breakdown of our fearless leader.

     Let me tell you, I don't flinch from the gore of this show. One of my favorite walker kills to this day remains when Daryl crushed the head of one in a hatchback trunk. However one part of the episode did turn my stomach, when Rick was given the choice of the lives of his group, or chopping off his own child's arm. The Carl haters better recognize the heroism in this kid when he gave his father permission. Fortunately it didn't come to that, this was when Negan was sure, he had broken Rick.

     The brutality of the episode was some times hard to watch, but that's what we as fans signed up for when we pledged our loyalty to the fandom. Fortunately for our hearts, Scott Gimple has promised us a more lighthearted episode this Sunday. It goes back to the the Walking Dead slogan, "Fight the dead, Fear the Living

No comments:

Post a Comment