Saturday 26 January 2019

Why I didn't Wait...

         
          So I guess the typical norm when you get pregnant is to wait 12 weeks to announce the pregnancy, in case you lose the baby. Well making it Facebook official, we did wait, and we SORT OF waited a bit with others, not because we meant to, but because I was further along than we thought. But I feel like the logic behind "don't tell, because you might lose the baby", is seriously flawed. I don't mean to stomp on you if that's what you were comfortable doing, but I don't know that I could have. I told work right away, so they would understand if I had to run off the floor to be sick ( luckily I only got sick a couple times), or something happened, and I did have to go to the hospital within what I THOUGHT was the first 4 weeks (it was actually like 8).

           I love to start this story with, do you remember the big phone outage in the summer of 2017? Two thirds of the providers in Atlantic canada were down, and I don't just mean cell phones, land lines too...that's the day I was at work and worried I was having a miscarriage. Luckily, I work across the parking lot from where Cale works. They tend to move a little faster at the hospital when you say "I'm pregnant" (faster when they see the evidence, and if you say "i'm going to labour and delivery, you jump to the front of the line).

            Needless to say, I didn't have a miscarriage, what's more they got my first appointment moved up, AND brought in a cheapy ultrasound machine (in comparison only I'm sure), and told me where we were we probably wouldn't see anything. This is where we found out I was further along because I fought back tears when I saw his little heartbeat (I actually cried when I heard it the first time).

             So here is why I told people. If we'd gone in and they said, "yup, you lost the baby", that would have devastated me. It seems all too often society tells us to suffer in silence, and for some  maybe that works. But we've also started shining a light on why it really doesn't too. I couldn't have suffered in silence. I can't say for sure what the extent of the damage would've been, but it would have been bad. This is why, even if I had 15 kids, I wouldn't keep it quiet. I would tell people, quietly, and my way before it was broadcast for all to see on Facebook, but I would share it.

         K, Luv Ya, Bye

         Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment