Sunday 6 January 2019

The Disappearing Nursing Act

    
  I mentioned before that I'm changing the Christmas posts next year, and one of the reasons why is because they become all consuming  and I have other things to talk about on my blog.  This is a post I could have started talking about in early December when we started. I'm talking about weaning.
       This is a topic that I have seriously mixed feelings about. Jake took 7 weeks to latch to nurse, and he stayed there for another three straight. It was a real struggle for me in the beginning, because I felt defeated and then I had pretty severe baby blues...still  or convinced I didn't have ppd. I still found it restrictive at times, but for the same reasons I would have found formula restrictive, frequency.
          Because I am barely over one month away from returning to work, we have been working on weaning a while, and had Jake down to nursing only first thing in the morning, and right before bed  with sessions overnight when needed. We hit this before Christmas, and I just lost it. I sat here one night crying to Cale that I wasn't ready to give up my bedtime feed yet. I won't always be home for bedtime, so I knew I would have to give it up, and I did two nights ago. I will continue on demand over night for now, but during the day, I only have our first thing in the morning session. I still have seriously mixed feelings about this, I miss parts of exclusively breastfeeding, but it's liberating too. Not to mention I love watching Jake learn.
           This is honestly one of the harder milestones for mom, but I'm so proud to watch Jake move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment