Monday 28 May 2018

Breastfeeding Faves

         
It never fails, the second I pick up my laptop, Jake wakes up and/or starts crying. We're starting to struggle with naps now, and putting him to bed as well. We're working  on this now, so I hope to do a sleep post eventually.

         Today's post however is about my favorite products I use when breastfeeding. I saw Ali Wong's netflix special the other day and more than once I found myself shouting in agreement to my tv. She said she wanted to breastfeed because it's free...and then pointed out...no it is NOT. If you breastfeed, you need help, and these are the products that have helped me.

1. My Brest Friend Nursing pillow. Note I didn't say nursing pillow. I have 3 nursing pillows. One is used for Jake's tummy time, the one I REALLY wanted, is now used as a regular pillow, and then there is My Brest Friend. I first used this at the hospital, and that was the only place I seemed to get any success with nursing in the beginning, and I was far more comfortable with it on. It's huge and basically is a combination of a pillow, a belt, and a shelf. Because of the belt part, I don't have to keep readjusting constantly. BONUS It has a pocket on it for a water bottle or cell phone. Drawback, this has become Jake's favorite napping place...thus our napping issues.

2. Lanolin. Remember my last post when I said breast feeding WILL hurt, this helps. In the beginning when I was blistered (yes blistered) I put this on like I had a lifetime supply, and it soothed so much, when I wanted to cry. I need to remember to put it on more now, because even though I'm not generally blistered ( I am right now, Jake pulled back out of nowhere yesterday), I can still get very dry.

3. Avent Breast Shells. Yes I said shells. I heard about the product called milk collector, and Was about to buy one online, when I went into Toys R Us. I can't go in that store for just what I went in for anymore. No I have to go around the entire baby department and think if there is anything we need, or want...ps I put back rattle slippers the other day and kind of want them now. Anyway back on track, that's exactly how I found these. They were in a completely mangled box, last one, and I haven't seen them since because I would kind of like another set. What they are is a shell, the pack comes with 4, 2 ventilated and 2 not. They come with a silicon backing with a hole in them. Your nipple goes through the hole. The ones without the holes are for milk collection, while the vented ones can do both, just on a lesser scale for collection. I really didn't think I would use the vented ones, but OH MY GOD, they're amazing. In the early days, I had times where the softest brush would mae me want to cry, and these gave me space and air to heal...not to mention I was leaking about an ounce a day that I could now save.

4.Nursing bra. So some of these are pretty obvious, and this one takes the cake. I have seen the price tag on nursing clothes, and it's ridiculous. I only bought one type of clothes that were actual "nursing" clothes, and that was the bras. I'll be honest though, I'm not CRAZY about the ones I have. I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of options for maternity and nursing items. We either need to go to Moncton or online. Walmart does have some options that I have been using, but I was busty PRE Jake, I'm worse now, as a result, the largest size Walmart provides seems snug to me still. H&M offers proper bra sizes on their site, so I may still invest in theirs.

5. Tank tops. No, not nursing tank tops, flat out, tank tops. If I go into H&M, I can buy a 2 pack of nursing tanks, or get 4 regular spaghetti strap tanks for the same price. I feel like I have a new "mom wardrobe. My bottoms are always skinny jeans with really good stretch, Yoga pans, or leggings (usually athletic ones) with a longer, more flowy top. It's funny because I have always been a tight tshirt and jeans type girl, all my tshirts are now flowy. And under these tops, a spaghetti strap tank. Nursing tanks might be a little easier, but the regular ones work no problem, and at the cheaper price, I'm ok with it when there is a stain on the top because some of the fatty milk has leaked.

          I was going to include my pump in this post too, because I do really like it and my biggest fear was buying the wrong one...because pumps ain't cheap. However, I think I will do a post some time about pumping, and will talk about my pump then.

K, Luv Ya, Bye!

Nancy


No comments:

Post a Comment