Wednesday 25 March 2015

Glad we didn't have social media when Geri Left the Spice Girls...

     So today the news came out that a member of One Direction is leaving the group, and apparently teenage girls a DEVASTATED! 

    I'm sitting here rolling my eyes at seriously OVER DRAMATIC reactions. I'm TRYING to put myself in their shoes, and try and remember an instance that this happened for a band similar when I was a kid and remember, it DID happen. I remember back when Geri Halliwell called it quits with the Spice Girls. Everyone was shocked, but I don't think we were like this...and if we were all I can say is thank god social media wasn't around then. 


     The boy band is such an old formula, it's even been parodied. What's more, there will be MANY more to come, and VERY few to be remembered. Of the boy bands who were relevant when I was a kid, ONE still exists! Then there are those who we remember but are long gone, Nsync, Hanson, I'm talking about you. And of course the ones that you go, "Oh yeah, I forgot about them", 98 degrees, because once upon a time Nick Lachey was known for being in this band with his little brother. Otown....didn't they have a song called Liquid dreams that now as an adult I see as gross and inappropriate considering the age of their fan base. 

     So to the fans who are curled up in a ball crying, this is the circle of life for the boy band. Take joy in knowing One Direction had quite a few hits, and that they lasted 5 years.  It really is all downhill from here, but they will still bring you joy when you're older and take out and dust off your 1D cd's and giggle....assuming you actually bought their cd's. I speak from experience....

No comments:

Post a Comment