Friday 13 March 2015

An Alice Post

     Oh it's gonna be an Alice Blog! This dog has changed my life, and I gush about her, a LOT. I'm not about to sit here and tell you I have the perfect dog, because she really does have her own baggage.

     We adopted her from the local shelter, and she and I hit t off right away. She was pretty timid in her little run, but came up to see me. Alice came with medical issues and social issues. When we got her she had a staph infection, that the vet said likely started as a food allergy, but got worse. We went through 3 different types of food... and there was no improvement. She was on antibiotics like 3 times, we used cream twice a day, included coconut oil, and added an oil to help improve her skin and coat...no change... it was 2 week ago I realized the ONLY thing that had never changed in her diet the entire time we had her. I'm not about to sit here and bash the product because it was just she had an allergy, but it was her greenies. So we stopped, and it's cleared up, and INSANE amount. I got her a toothbrush and now brush her teeth, but without the greenies, her mouth smells like a garbage can. I got her Whimzies today and we're trying that along with a dental liquid, I'm equating to dog mouthwash.

    On top of this, Alice has her social issues... she's super selective about what dogs she likes...If the dog approaches her with an even temper and doesn't look her in the eye...she's fine. If there's excitement, or eye locking... it's not a good time. As a result she's in a secluded part of her obedience class. Most of the basic commands she knew... in all honesty that aspect of the class was training my husband and I more than her. But I have seen a difference in her as far as being around the other dogs. It's still a ways off, but we're working at it.  She can also be very afraid of strangers, in particular men. She has warmed up to my mother in-law... she's ....better...with my father in-law.

    I decided to do this blog post because of two things that have been said to me lately about my dog. #1 "You'd think your dog was perfect or something". Or something like that...no... I don't for a second think my dog is perfect... but to the person who said that to me... I like her better than I like you... And instead of dwelling on her short comings (I've done this once), I try and help her improve and when I see her improve...I'm pretty amped.  #2 "you're spending a small fortune on your dog". This comment, wasn't meant to be mean... This person was simply realizing all the things we're doing for her. My husband and I have wanted a dog for YEARS. We almost adopted one before, but backed out because we weren't sure if e could handle the financial responsibility of a dog. When we adopted Alice, we were ready to accept ALL the responsibilities that came along with having a dog (picking up poop was my biggest adjustment...being an authority figure was my husband's).

     So that is my blog on my perfectly imperfect dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment