Wednesday 21 January 2015

My First Blog

   
     This isn't my first blog. It's more like my 3rd. Now my first, was rather successful, but it kind of stopped being mine if that makes sense. I started to write a blog because I like to write out thoughts, feelings and get creative through words. The problem with it was it stopped being about my thoughts and feelings, and became me writing what I figured people wanted. I've always been the type of person who does a good job on something I enjoy doing, and a terrible job if I'm not into it. So I attempted to start a blog all for me, and still...it became an obligatory thing, I wouldn't write about anything that interested me, or when I wrote, I stressed myself out trying to make it appealing. I stopped enjoying it, and it became sloppy, lazy, and eventually nonexistent. Over a great deal of time, I missed blogging and made this one, with no affiliation to work, it's simply mine, people can read it or not, it'c completely their call, but it's MY blog, and I'm far more content with it this way.


     This being said, there was a series of posts I did on my first blog, I'm still quite proud of, and that's the Anti-bully blog series. I wrote it, because as a kid, I was a victim of bullying, and I think most people can say that they were. As one of the people who let me feature their story on the blog told me, at one point or another, I think all of us have been a bully as well. No one is perfect, I'm not about to sit here on my high horse and judge anyone. This being said, my series was me trying to spread awareness, and perhaps have people take a step back and look at what was happening to them, around them or what they themselves were doing.


     My dad was a probably my #1 fan for that series, he shared it, and bragged about it to a lot of people. It wasn't long after he passed away, I stopped the posts. Aside from the wall I put up between me and people around me (which is something I may blog about some day), I didn't want to do the post, if I didn't do it right. It had become redundant, and stale. But there is another reason I stopped, my blog, wasn't really needed anymore. Bullying has become a mainstream topic, There are groups like Bullying Canada, I was chatting with this group when they were in early stages, and now I see their PSA's on TV, and see how their website has grown, and I'm super happy about this. I'm not about to say I made this change, because I'm sure my blog had little to no growth with this topic. I was more of an outlet for others to share their stories, kind of the soap box keeper, and THAT is what I'm proud of with my old blog.


    Something I am thankful for with my blog, is friends I made along the way. Seriously, I made friends from the blog, one in particular who had an extensive several part story. I used to offer the option of a post being anonymous, and I can't really remember if this person chose to remain nameless or not, for that reason I won't use their name. Today I spotted on their Facebook, their Kid was now on the receiving end of a bully...specifically a cyber bully. They posted this and asked for advice, but the difference between now, and only a few years ago, there were answers. There are actual steps to be taken, people are aware of the problem and there are now options in place to help. Is it perfect? No, will it EVER be? Likely not, but it IS getting better. I've had a couple people ask what ever happened to it. I hope this answers your question. I'm quite proud of what it was and am very grateful to everyone who contributed as well, so I did want to take a second to thank them as well, because I was basically the soapbox, they were the story tellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment