Saturday 17 September 2016

Shopping list, the gift edition

         


     If you've started following my blog posts (this is #3), I hope you've also started following the blog posts at 101 Days to Christmas . As I've expressed, this page has been my guide for several years now. I've never really stuck 100% to her planning methods, but have used them to work with how I do things. As a result I will reference back to her page often so be sure to check it out. Yesterday on her page was about setting up a Calendar. This is honestly a step I may have overlooked, simply because I already have one up in my house. If you don't or you would like one specifically for holiday planning go to her website, she's been doing this a while and has resources there for you. 

     Getting back to my planning, we're on to another list. I told you the master list would probably have a few lists on it, and some of them I may not be able to guide you with, because they will be personal to your specific list. However, I think it's safe to say everyone will have food and groceries  list, and a gift list, and that's the one we're touching on today.

     Though I'm a big believer of get started early on both of these lists, if I had to pick one over the other, it's gifts. First thing is first, who do you need to buy for? When you make this list, remember that odds are you're going to be dealing with secret Santa popping up at work and or school. Did you want to get something for your regular postal worker, or paper delivery person? What about teachers? Keep this stuff in mind, and also try and come up with a few backup gifts in case you have some one drop in or something.

     After Christmas, I'll touch on how to make next Christmas easier, but one thing I'll for sure mention is shopping all year for gifts. I actually started in February. Sometimes you can space it out, but you don't ALWAYS have that luxury. The good news is if you're starting NOW, you're still ahead of the game.

     Some people, you're lucky enough will have a list, and that makes things a little easier, but if you're seriously stumped for some people, brainstorm. This is a method I've used over the years, and have actually used to help other people. Take the person who is difficult to buy for, and start writing out words that remind you of them, and their interests. My dad was always an easy one for this, I'd think of him and I'd think of coca-cola, video games, and comic books (yes my dad was rad). I have a ton of ideas that could come from these 3 notes. It's a great tool I use, give it a shot.

    Here is another step in my gift planning, can you MAKE any gifts? If you're crafty, great, if you're not, do not count yourself out of this category yet. One of my favorite Christmas movies is Santa Claus is coming to town. At the end of the movie, there is a line that says "...if only we could learn to give as he gives, of our hearts, of our talents". This is a line that has stuck with me. One of my favorite gifts I've ever received was one my brother made. When we were kids, our mom had recorded a bunch of Christmas specials on VHS, and we watched this every year. In his first year of college, my brother found most of them, and put them onto a DVD set for me. While I adore the set itself, I think of the time and effort he put into that, thinking of me, and trying to make me happy, that is a huge factor as to why it was such a wonderful gift.

     So there you have it, get that gift list together, because if you're like me, and get paid bi weekly, there are only about 7-8 more pay days to Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment