Monday 4 February 2019

Mom Shame and Unsolicited Advice

   
So yesterday, I think I was mom shamed...or at the very least, I was dealing with a troll. I commented on a friend of mine's post, where they were excited they were able to nurse longer with their second child than their first. This is a big deal, and anyone who has ever nursed, long or short term, know this. If you have seen any of my posts recently, you know I'm headed back to work soon, and Jake is weaned. I shared this, because that's what we moms do, share our experiences...

       Suddenly it was pointed out to me, I absolutely could have continued nursing, just when I was home. So for me, this seems a little chaotic, and Jake is thriving with solids. Keeping that going, the cons outweigh the pros, for me anyway. But it became this back and forth, which I eventually just stopped bothering to reply to. Instead I messaged the person who did the orginal post, and apologized that this back and forth was taking away from her accomplishments.

         Here is what we all need to remember, unsolicited advice to a mom, if it's actually mom shaming or not, is typically not taken well. I know I have on more than one occasion gotten angry because some one told me how to do something with Jake, when I never asked for input. As moms we can be defensive of our parenting. If it's meant maliciously or not, it can come off as an attack.

       Pretty sure I did a post lla while back on mom shaming, so not delving into that today. Just remember, yes  moms have a lot of questions...but we need to wait for the question, before we give an answer.

         K, Luv Ya, Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment